Cancellation by you
Once you have entered into the Tenancy Agreement you will be liable for the contractual obligations (including payments) set out in it and may only cancel under the following circumstances:
- Cooling-off period – before 1st August: Unless you have already collected the keys to the accommodation, you may cancel your booking by contacting us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time during the 7 days after we send you an email confirming your booking offer (the “7 Day Cooling-Off Period”). If you do that, we will make no charge and we will return any Advance Rent you have already paid to us within 7 working days to you, minus any transaction charges.
- Cooling-off period – including after 1st August: Unless you have already collected the key(s) to the accommodation, you may cancel your booking by contacting us by e-mail at email@example.com at any time up to 24 hours after we send you an email confirming your booking offer. If you do that, we will make no charge and we will return any Advance Rent you have already paid to us within 7 working days to you, minus any transaction charges.
- Failure to get grades (Undergraduates): Should you fail to gain the required qualifications and are not accepted into University, you may cancel your Tenancy Agreement and we will refund any Advance Rent payments, minus any transaction charges, so long as you provide the following information within 72 hours of your exam results being published:
(a) written confirmation from you that you wish to cancel your Tenancy Agreement due to having failed to obtain the required grades for your first choice University; and
(b) supporting evidence from the University or UCAS.
- No Visa: If you are required and fail to obtain a UK Visa before the start date of your tenancy, we will cancel your Tenancy Agreement and refund any Advance Rent payments, minus any transaction charges, provided you supply us with the following within 72 hours of you receiving official confirmation that your visa was declined:
(a) written confirmation from you that you wish to cancel your reservation; and
(b) supporting official evidence to show that the UK Visa was declined.
If you fail to obtain a UK Visa after the start date of your tenancy, you will be liable for rental payments until a suitable replacement tenant is found – see clause 6.
- Extenuating circumstances: If you are no longer able to attend University and/or live away from home due to extenuating circumstances, such as ill-health or family issues, please contact us in order to discuss the matter. We may require you to provide us with proof of such circumstances prior to agreeing to terminate the Tenancy Agreement. You are liable to ensure all rent payments are up to date until any release from tenancy date is agreed. In the event a cancellation of booking under this policy is denied, you would be responsible for sourcing a placement tenant – see clause 6.
- Cancellation by you – replacement tenant: you will remain liable for the full contractual rent, unless and until a suitable (in our sole opinion) replacement tenant is found by you for your accommodation. If a suitable replacement tenant is found, subject to our entering into a new agreement with such proposed tenant, you will be released from the contractual obligations set out in the Tenancy Agreement and any Advance Rent/overpaid rent money will be refunded to you, less an amount equal to £50 as a cancellation and administrative fee. In the event of you sourcing a replacement tenant before your tenancy start date, subject to a successful tenancy take over, you are no longer liable for any administration fees or future contractual obligations set out in the Tenancy Agreement.
Cancellation by us
- Failure to sign your Tenancy Agreement: If you fail to sign your Tenancy Agreement within the cooling off periods stated above, your booking will be automatically cancelled and your studio/room will be made available for booking by other students.
- Failure to pay Advance Rent: If Advance Rent is due, and you fail to pay within the cooling off periods stated above, your booking will be automatically cancelled and your studio/room will be made available for booking by other students.
- Failure to pay initial Rent instalment: The initial rent instalment is due before your Tenancy start date. Failure to pay this rent instalment within 10 days of its due date, or failure to notify us of the reason for non-payment, will cause your booking to be automatically cancelled, you will lose any Advance Rent you have paid, and your studio will become available to book by other students.
- Failure to collect your key(s) within timeframe: If you enter into the Tenancy Agreement, and you then fail to collect your key within 28 days of the Tenancy Start Date, we reserve the right to: (a) cancel your booking and terminate the Tenancy Agreement and (b) re-let your room. In these circumstances any rent paid by you (including any Advance Rent will not be refunded to cover any losses incurred by us for empty unlet rooms. This provision takes precedence over any other provision set out in the Tenancy Agreement.
- Provision of incomplete, false or misleading information: including a failure to complete your application, provide guarantor details or supporting documentation in good time or other reasons set out in the Tenancy Agreement.
These terms and conditions (including any claims or disputes relating thereto) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. The Parties irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts over any claim, dispute or other matter arising under or in connection with this Agreement.